Starting January 1, 2017, residents must submit Maintenance Requests through our StarProtal system. This system lets you track past requests and check to see when the request has been completed!
For instructions on this, see below.
- Go to http://starportal.utoronto.ca
- Login with your student number and password
- Click the maintenance tab above the login message
- Select your maintenance report category
- Scroll down and click the ‘New Job’ button
- If Shared or Public Spaces was selected, select the room/space in question
- Select ‘Enter Description’ in the Category and Item fields and outline the nature of your issue
- Afterwards, you can view your reports located at the bottom of the page of each category
Some examples of issues for which you would send a Maintenance Request include:
- A burnt-out light bulb
- A leaky faucet
- A malfunctioning lock
- A wobbly floor lamp or kitchen table
- A clogged toilet
- Problems with your kitchen appliances
In the event of a maintenance emergency, e.g. flood, lock failure, etc. do not use the online system. Instead, you should notify either the Graduate House Office, or the Residence Advisor on-call in order to ensure a quick response (and minimize resulting damage).
Helpful Tips For Cleaning & Maintenance
- To prevent clogs, dispose of food waste and excess hair in the garbage and not down any drain. Do not put anything other than toilet paper in the toilets since they clog easily. Dispose of feminine hygiene products, Q-tips, dental floss, food, and paper towels in the garbage.
- Graduate House provides each suite with basic cleaning equipment. The mops are expensive and difficult to fix. Soak your mop in soapy water for a few minutes before using it so that the mop head softens up—otherwise it may break or crack. If you require a new mop head, please fill out an Online Maintenance Request. The replacement charge for a damaged mop is $24, which is split equally among all residents of a suite.
- Vacuum cleaner bags can be obtained free of charge from the Office; simply fill out an Online Maintenance Request. Check your vacuum bag periodically since the vacuum works more efficiently if you change the bag before it gets full. Also, remember that your vacuum is not a “wet vac” and can only be used for dry dirt and dust.
- Report any use of fire extinguishers to the Graduate House Office via an Online Maintenance Request. If you are missing a fire extinguisher in the kitchen area of your suite, please let us know.
- Tampering with the fire extinguishers is prohibited. Such tampering may set off the fire alarm and will result in charges that will be placed on your student account (ROSI). Only use a fire extinguisher in the event of a fire.
- If your floor lamps or kitchen table are wobbly, do not tighten them yourself. Fill out an Online Maintenance Request instead.
- If any of your overhead lights need replacing, just fill out an Online Maintenance Request.
- A thermostat on the wall inside the living room area controls the temperature in your suite. Simply adjust the thermostat to a temperature agreeable to everyone in the suite (understanding that this may require some negotiation, and may form part of your Suitemate Agreement). Do not set the thermostat to extreme temperatures as this will not make your suite cooler or warmer any more quickly. If there are problems with temperature control, please fill out an Online Maintenance Request.
- Residents are responsible for providing their own shower curtains. You will be able to pick-up a shower curtain at many shops close to campus.
- After taking a shower, always make sure that you mop up any water that may accumulate in the corners on the floor. Residents will be held responsible for the cost of repairing water damage on the bathroom walls that will result if you are not careful. Make sure that you install a long enough shower curtain, keep it closed when you are showering, and dry the floor after you have finished!