In Residence
There are many things that your son/daughter can do to ensure their safety and the safety of those around them:

  • Always carry your Access Card (room key) with you and never lend it out
  • Never leave your suite door ajar when you are not in the suite
  • Do not allow Non-Graduate House residents to follow you into the building
  • Do not give access to Graduate House to anyone that is not your guest
  • Report any suspicious persons and/or activity to your Residence Advisor or Main Office

On Campus
Campus Police
are on call 24hrs a day to respond to any emergencies. In addition, there are over 120 Emergency Call Stations on campus that dial directly to the Campus Police. They also run the WalkSmart program which provides an escort to students at night from any building on campus, including residences.

The Community Safety Office responds to students, staff, and faculty members of the University of Toronto community who have personal safety concerns. They can provide help for such things as harassment, bullying, family violence, abusive relationships, thoughts of suicide and any other personal safety concerns.

In The City
Although the University and Residence provide certain safety measures, it is also important that students take certain precautions in a large city like Toronto.

  • If you are walking at night, walk with a friend, or use the WalkSmart program
  • When taking money out of an ATM machine, do not count your money in a public place where others could be watching
  • Make sure you have insurance for valuable items such as laptops, cell phones, cameras, etc


In Residence
Each floor in residence has a designated Residence Advisor hired and trained to support students in residence and to build a positive and enjoyable community on the floor. In addition to acting as a support for their individual floor’s, RA’s also work on a rotating on-call schedule ensuring that there is always a Residence Advisor available once the office closes.  Full-time professional staff in the Graduate House Office are also available to assist students in difficulty.

On Campus
If your son/daughter is struggling with academics, a relationship, homesickness, or a mental health issue, they are strongly encouraged to go to their Residence Advisor  for advice and support.  The RA’s are trained to refer students to other university resources where they can get professional help and assistance.  There are several resources on campus to assist students who are having difficulty.  For academic issues, the Registrar’s Office is the best place to start.  For personal counseling students can go to Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and for health concerns they can go to Health Services.


Depending on how sick your son/daughter may be, there are several services and resources that are in place to support them. If your son/daughter has a common cold the most important things they can do is get plenty of sleep and eat healthy and nutritious foods.  In order to get better more quickly, students who have family within traveling distance, may want to go home to recuperate in a familiar and comfortable environment.

If your son/daughter is experiencing a more serious illness, such as the flu, they are strongly encouraged to see a doctor as soon as possible.  Health Services at the University of Toronto, and walk-in clinics are both located close to Graduate House.  Students who are not well enough to meet academic obligations such as class attendance, TA responsibilities, etc., should be sure to notify their academic department and/or Faculty Advisor.