Frequently Asked Questions


Use your GH Applicant Code to determine your place in relation to other applicants in the list. Offers of residence will be made to the next eligible student on the list. Your position on the list will change as offers are given out or if students withdraw their applications.

We aim to update this list once a week.

If have already applied and you have not received your GH Code, please contact the Graduate House office by email at information.gradhouse@utoronto.ca and we can provide you with that information.

If Graduate House is your preferred housing option while you attend UofT, we strongly encourage you to keep your application active with us by remaining on our Applicant List. Spaces open up throughout the academic year, and staying on our Applicant List maintains your priority relative to other applicants.

Spaces open up throughout the academic year, and staying on our Applicant List maintains your priority relative to other applicants.

Prior to receiving an Offer of Residence, if you wish to withdraw your application to Graduate House, simply submit your cancellation request and we will be pleased to refund your Application Fee to your credit card. All cancellation requests must be submitted on the StarRez Portal:

  • Log into starrez.utoronto.ca, then click on My Applications, and select your 2023-24 Graduate House Application
  • If the application does not automatically open to the Application Status page, navigate to this page by selecting it the navigation bar
  • At the bottom of the page, select “Request to Cancel Application” from the drop-down You will be taken to the cancellation page where you can submit your cancellation request

As outlined on our application, your Application Fee becomes non-refundable once we make you an offer of residence, and is either applied to your Graduate House Occupancy Fees (if you move in) or forfeited (if you decline, do not respond, or do not move in).

As outlined on our application, your Application Fee becomes non-refundable once we make you an offer of residence, and is either applied to your Graduate House Occupancy Fees (if you move in) or forfeited (if you decline, do not respond, or do not move in).

Application Information

If a space in Graduate House is offered to you at any point prior to you cancelling your application and you either decline, or do not respond by the appointed deadline, you will forfeit the amount of your Application Fee.

If you cancel your application before you have been offered a space, your Application Fee will be refunded. If you cancel your application after an offer of residence has been accepted, the Application Fee and Confirmation Deposit, will be forfeited. All requests for application cancellation must be submitted through the StarRez Portal.

You are deemed to have been offered a space as of the date and time at which Graduate House’s electronic correspondence records indicate it was sent to you.

Graduate House offers residency throughout the calendar year. As graduate/second entry students can leave throughout their contract when they graduate, we offer rolling admissions to keep the building at high occupancy. If you’ve applied to Graduate House and you did not receive an offer, you will be placed on our Applicant List.

There has been a number of false reviews of Graduate House posted on Google. Upon further investigation, we have determined this review/accusation to be completely untrue and we have contacted Google to have this review marked as spam. If you have any questions or concerns in relation to this review, please contact us at information.gradhouse@utoronto.ca.

Prospective Students

If you are a University of Toronto student, your application fee will be reflected as a $100 credit (CR) on your ACORN account. Your Overall Balance on your ACORN account will then be displayed as owing $100 less, but this credit is specially earmarked so that it can only be applied to Graduate House charges. Please be careful to not underpay your tuition charges by $100.

As outlined on our application, your Application Fee becomes non-refundable once we make you an offer of residence, and is either applied to your Graduate House Occupancy Fees (if you move in) or forfeited (if you decline, do not respond, or do not move in).

Yes! Approximately 40% of Graduate House is available each year to be awarded to students at the discretion of the various graduate departments, centres, institutes, and faculties. 20% of Graduate House is allocated at the discretion of the six second-entry professional faculties: Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Education, Pharmacy, and Nursing. Ask your department to apply for a space for you!

Click here for more information on the recruitment space process.


Complete the online application for Residence through the StarRez Portal.

Your application is not considered complete until you pay the $100 Application Fee. This fee is refundable if you cancel your application before you receive an offer at Graduate House.

All students will receive move-in details via email prior to their move-in day. Students will be able to move in after noon (12:00pm) on their move-in day.

Graduate House provides 3 room type options. Room types include a regular single bedroom, regular double bedroom and premium single bedroom

Click here for more information about room types.


Living In Residence

Yes! However, to prevent damage to the walls, only 3M Command hooks are permitted to be used in your bedroom or suite (you can order them here). There is a special way to remove these hooks. Damage caused by incorrect removal of these hooks will be charged to the resident, therefore we strongly advise residents to leave the hook on the wall when they leave so that maintenance staff can remove them correctly.

Other types of hooks, fasteners, or adhesives (including scotch/duct tape, poster putty, stickers, etc.) may damage painted walls or leave stains on concrete. Repainting or repairing damaged walls is costly (typically $250 per wall), so to avoid incurring significant damage charges, we advise against using non-approved products.

Your plastic fob is the one you’ll use every day when you come and go from Graduate House. It will give you access to all entrances/exits, all common areas, the laundry room, the TV room, your suite, and your bedroom. Your fob is uniquely programmed for you , and does not open your suite mates’ bedrooms (nor do theirs open yours). Replacement of this key is $25.

If you are locked out of your suite/bedroom, you can come to the front desk to receive a temporary fob. The RA On Call can also assist you with a lockout when the desk is called between the hours of 8am and midnight. Please note that lockouts between midnight and 8am are automatically directed to Campus Safety.

Graduate House has indoor bicycle parking spaces available for securing your bike. Please fill out a Bicycle Registration Form and return it to the Graduate House Office.

Any maintenance requests should be sent through your StarRez Portal. You can follow the rest of the steps at the Maintenance and Internet page.

Mail is sorted and distributed everyday during office hours. Mail that requires a signature and/or does not fit into your personal mailbox (located in the main lobby) will be kept in the Graduate House Office and an email notice will be sent to you. Please pick up your parcel during regular business hours. We do not accept packages that contain alcohol or cannabis.

We will provide you with a key for you individual mailbox. Please note, if you lose or break your key, there is a $50 replacement charge. If after you move out, you fail to return your key, you’ll also incur a $50 charge.



The laundry room is located on the Courtyard level (select floor “C” in the elevator). It has one entrance from the hallway by the elevator and one from the main Common Room. You can use the Laundry Cat app or physical laundry card (SparkleXpress card) to operate machines (you can load money on to your laundry card at the loading station in the laundry room). All residents receive a SparkeXpress card when first checking in at the Front Desk. Please note that there is a replacement charge of $5 for lost cards.

For more information about using your laundry card, check out the Residence Handbook.

As a Graduate House resident you have access to high-speed Wi-Fi internet from the bedroom of your suite. Please note that personal routers are prohibited in residence. Details on how to connect your device can be found in the Maintenance and Internet.

Graduate House offers a number of resources and services including but not limited to mail and package processing, lost and found, iron rental, board games and much more. Visit the Residence Handbook for more information.

Living with Suitemates

Residents are required to complete a Suitemate Agreement. Since no two of us are exactly alike in our habits or day-to-day living routine, we require that you meet with your suitemates within the first week of residency to discuss and agree on some group expectations about cleaning, noise, overnight guests, garbage and recycling, etc.

Once you have reached consensus on the basic ground rules, document them in this formal agreement that will be signed be all the suitemates. This process must be repeated each time a new suitemate moves in.

Please note if you have concerns with your current room, please first discuss it with your Residence Advisor (RA). Your RA is always there to help you with any problems you are having. All room change requests are processed in extenuating circumstances.

If your RA determines that a room change may be appropriate for you, they will refer you to the Assistant Dean, Residence Life and Communication (ADRLC), Residence Life Coordinator (RLC), and/or the Head Residence Advisor (HRA) for further assistance.

Living with other people can be difficult at times, but it is essential that residents learn to live together through cooperation and respect. In rare cases, despite cooperation, respect, and good intentions, conflicts develop which cannot be resolved through the mediation process. In a case like this, a room change may be appropriate. Graduate House uses the following process to respond to suitemate conflicts. Further, we will only process one room change for suitemate concern per contract. Please note that room changes for suitemate concerns are not accepted within the first month of the semester.

Join Us!

Living in Graduate House is conveniently located, safe and fun too! Graduate and second-entry students from many faculties at UofT call this place home.